Wednesday, July 31, 2013

An Old Challenge


I made this quilt sometime in 2001.  It is one of my challenge quilts from CO West Quilt Guild.  The challenge was to use the red fabric they gave us, and no other color other than black and white. We could not even use a different color thread, other than red, black and white.  The quilt now belongs to my oldest son, who is the drummer in our family.  To design the quilt I took a picture of his hands holding his drum sticks, then enlarged the picture on the copy machine to get the size I wanted, and traced them to create my pattern for appliqué.
Design-wise, there are probably some things I would do differently now, but I had only been quilting a very short time when I made it so completely designing it myself, without a pattern, was a huge accomplishment for me.  It did win a ribbon in the challenge competition too, which was very rewarding.
And yes, my son still plays the drums.  He will soon be the drumming dentist however, when he finishes dental school :)

2 comments: