Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Annie's thimble display case made from wooden thread spools reminded me of something my Mom made for me using wooden spools long ago.  A canister set for my Barbies!  Look how cute these are!  She painted them, then glued beads on top for the handle of the "lid" and wrote "Flour, Sugar", Coffee and Tea" on the various sizes.  You can barely make out the writing now because remember these are about 45 years old!!  Two of the beads are missing too.  After I played with these ages ago, my daughters played with them not so long ago and I still have them!  It may be time for a re-paint job, but they will be around
for my granddaughters to play with.  It is too bad they do not put thread on wooden spools anymore - the plastic ones just are not the same.  I haven't seen wooden spools for years!  Antique stores maybe?  If you have some, don't throw them away - there are all kinds of things you can use them for.
While digging through the Barbie stuff looking for the canister set, I found another creative thing my mother made for me - this adorable little baby bassinet.  She made it from an Ivory dish soap container (just the bottom part only), punched holes and crocheted around it and threaded a
ribbon through the edge.  Is that clever or what?  I also have a blue one, for Barbie's baby boy of course.
My Mom made me a bunch of Barbie clothes too.  Look at these from the 60's!  Fringed leather vests for Ken and Barbie, bell bottoms and a fur coat.  These are only a few of the incredible teeny tiny clothes she made.

Here are some Barbie dresses that she crocheted.  My girls not only reaped the benefits of the 1960's clothes I had, but she made more 1990's clothes for them as well.

Yes, my mother is pretty amazing and I am quite a lucky gal!!

Happy Quilting - or dress making or spool painting - or however you decide to create today!

1 comment:

  1. You have a great Mom. I'm glad you have such special memories. I really appreciate her. You have been a great Mother as well and our children have wonderful childhood memories thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete