Sunday, September 29, 2013

There Comes a Time

There comes a time in every quilter or crafter's life when they need to sort through their stuff, maybe purge a bit, and then find a place for everything they decide to keep.  We need to decide which UFO's to keep and finish and which ones to pass along to someone else, which tools are useful and need to stay and which can go, what size scraps of batting and fabric do we keep and which do we get rid of?  I always feel better after I clean and organize my sewing room.  I usually do this between major projects, as it gets my creative juices flowing for the next project, but sometimes I REALLY clean my sewing room, emptying
out cupboards, dusting and cleaning, finding things I forgot I had, and renewing my excitement for my UFO's (Un-Finished Objects).
Today, my Mom and I did this with her sewing room!  Here are the "before pictures".  She has a lot of WIPs (Works in Progress), and she had already begun sorting through things, hence the boxes on the floor.  Our goal was to keep only the things she wanted to finish and would use, and move things around in the cupboards to make it easier for her to get to them.
We are about half way done.  We still have some work to do tomorrow.  Here are some boxes and piles of things she decided to part with.  I mentioned before that my Mom can do everything.  Well today she said she felt like she got into too many things.  I think she enjoyed all of the creative activities she did, and does, but I guess the downside to that is storing all of the supplies to support all those hobbies.  Today we sorted through stuff for scrapbooking, cross stitching, tole painting, knitting, crocheting and doll making, as well as sewing and quilting.

I will be taking the "get rid of pile" home to share with friends and/or taking to our guild's White Elephant Sale in November.


It's beginning to look better already!  I don't know about my Mom, but when my sewing room is nice and clean, I can hardly wait to get in there, begin a new project, and mess it all up again!

My Mom has a lot of containers too - maybe that is where I got my love of containers from :)

I went to church this morning too.  They introduced a young man who was to speak and his name is Kip Quilter!  Now, I do not know if that is how it is spelled - I doubt it, but that is how it sounded.  I looked around for a program so I could see the spelling because I was so curious, but I couldn't find one, so we will be left guessing.  Regardless of how it is spelled you have to admit that is one cool sounding name!  He gave an excellent talk too, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment