Monday, October 28, 2013

ZenDoodling with Zentangle!


Several of the girls in my Little Bits group were interested in trying out Zentangle so Sherida made us aware of a Zen Doodling class offered at a local art store called The Artist's Haven.  A few of us went last Tuesday night and had a grand time!

Here Max and Sherida show off some of their work.  Sherida had done some before with her grandson and had a basic book which gave us some great ideas.


Here is Eleanor showing off her work.  I had so much fun in this class!  It's just doodling but in a creative, cool way.  We worked on sketch paper this night, but I do want to try some on fabric with pen, and also on fabric with thread.   The possibilities are limitless!
 Another student Shelby and teacher Alex (standing) show some of their work.  Shelby's work is very intricate and artistic.  Alex's is of course as well - she drew the elephant freehand and zentangled inside of it, then added colored pencil. In our next class we will be adding colored pencil to our work.
I pretty much had all the supplies I needed at home.  I bought a couple of different sized pens but other than that, this is something you can just pick up and do, just about anywhere.  And it is FUN!


Here is the beginning of mine.  Alex just had us make four dots on our paper, connect them to form the outside borders, then start making shapes inside and filling them in with doodles.  She taught us several "types" of doodles but really anything goes - whatever you like!
Try it, you'll like it!  I can hardly wait to do some more!


On a side note we drove back over to Utah this weekend to go to a BYU football game with our kids.  We got stuck behind this HUGE, slow moving building of some kind.  You can see even the oncoming traffic is driving on the shoulder because this thing was gigantic.  So we got to drive about 40 mph in a 65 mph zone for about 30 minutes until we had an opportunity to pass it.  Phew!  Then.... a short while later, we came upon the other half and got to do it all over again!


Here it is taking up two lanes.
 I learned what "photo bombing" is!  I was trying to take this "selfie" of my daughter and I at the game and the guy behind us, who was routing for the other team, stood up so we could get his Boise State Bronco shirt in the picture!  He made sure to tell us that he did it on purpose :)  My son explained that is called "photo bombing".  I had never heard of that before!
The great news is the BYU Cougars won!
I am taking a blogging break for a couple of days, as my good friend Michelle and I are heading to Houston for the International Quilt Festival!  Hurray!  I am sure I will have a lot to write about when I get home :)  Have a great week!!

2 comments:

  1. Make sure to send me pics of us at game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you and Michelle have a great time in Houston - from Sherida

    ReplyDelete