Saturday, November 9, 2013

More Winning Quilts from the Houston Festival


Heather Pregger from Texas won first place in the Art-Abstract, Large category for this quilt titled "Tuning Fork #11"

Kathy York from Texas won 2nd place in the same category for her quilt titled "Windows".  This quilt is just cheery!  It must be the bright, happy colors!


"Roses in the Window" won first place in the Art-Abstract, Small category.  It was made by Carol Morrissey, also from Texas.


In the Art-Miniature category, Mary Ann Hildebrand from Texas won first place for her quilt "Life on the Mesa". 
Karen Eckmeier won second place in the same category for "Miniville...or It's 5 o'clock Somewhere".  Karen is from Connecticut.  This is not a good picture of Miniville - this quilt is only about 12- 15 inches square and has a whole teeny tiny town of houses collaged all over it.  Quite amazing.  Some of my friends have taken her workshop and made tiny creations of their own :)



I love Laura Wasilowski and her cheerful little quilts.  I am a graduate of her Chicago School of Fusing, even though I hardly ever fuse.  She is such a fun teacher and lecturer.  She won third place in the Art-Miniature category for this little quilt titled "House in the Valley #5".

In the Art-Naturescapes category, Elaine Quehl, from Canada, won first place for her quilt called "Curtain Call 2".


Pat Durbin, from California, won second place for "Sunlight in the Forest".


And Shirley Gisi, from Colorado, won third place for "Indian Summer Sunset".


In the Art-Painted Surface category, Patt Blair, from California, won first place for her quilt "Winter's Veil".


Terri Stegmiller, from North Dakota, won an honorable mention in the Art-Painted Surface category for her quilt, "A Bright Sun-Shiny Day".


And Helen Godden, from Australia, also won an honorable mention in that same category for "Zen Magpies".  This quilt is going to show up again in my blog with more details!


In the Art-People, Portraits, and Figures category Virginia Greaves, from Georgia, won first place for her quilt "Lincoln".


Natalie Carlton won an honorable mention in that same category for "I Have Many Faces".

I was fascinated by this quilt!  I was so proud of myself because I thought I could name all of the faces but one, but when I got home and showed a picture of it to my husband, he pointed out that I was calling David Letterman Bill Gates! (Sorry Michelle, for telling you that one wrong!)

Anyway, the one I cannot name is still bugging me.  It is second from the left on the top row, right next to Ronald Regan.  Who is that??  If you know, PLEASE post a comment and tell me!  It's driving me crazy!




"Feathers and Farms" won first place in the Art-Pictorial category.  It was made by Joanne Baeth from Oregon.  A detail photo of it is below.



I loved this quilt!  It's just fun!  It won first place in the Art-Whimsical category.  It is called "Alice's Kitchen" (Alice in Wonderland that is) and it was made by Miki Murakami, from Japan.


This quilt, "Tutti Frutti Main Street", made by Susan Bleiweiss from Massachusetts, won an honorable mention in the Art-Whimsical category.


In the Digital Imagery category, Jennifer Day, from New Mexico, won first place for her quilt "Boy and His Best Friend".

I really liked this quilt too and the picture does not do it justice.  It is called "Alone/Together", made by Sherry Davis Kleinman, from California.  It won second place in the Digital Imagery category.
In her artist's statement she says, "This quilt reflects the paradox current technology creates; how we are together and alone at the same time. Using my iPhone, I took photos of those around me as inspirations for drawings I completed on my iPad, and then printed them onto fabric on my home computer."


Jennifer Day, who won first place in the Digital Imagery category, also won an honorable mention in the same category for her quilt "Larry".
She says, "This is a quilt depicting my sewing machine repairman.  I caught this photograph of him as he was repairing my machine one day.  Obviously, Larry loves what he does!"  The technique she used was to print the photo on fabric and cover the primary image in thread, then free motion embroider the background.
We all love our sewing machine repairmen!  What would we do without them?

In the Embellished category, Pat Lapierre, from Maine, won first place for her quilt "Shades".
Detail photo below.  Very unique!  I like it!




I really like this quilt!  Look how round that ball of hexagons looks on a flat surface!
This quilt is called "Together in a Friendship World" and it was made by Geta Grama, from Romania.
This quilt was entirely pieced by hand, then machine quilted.

More tomorrow!   Have a happy and productive day!

1 comment:

  1. The sunlight in the forest quilt is amazing to me how she did the light and shade. The 3D ball quilt at the end of your post is also pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete