Saturday, November 23, 2013

What Will End Up In The Yard Sale?


I went to my friend's garage sale this weekend and she was getting rid of a lot of her tole painted items that she painstakingly made several years ago.  It was a fun hobby for her at the time and she has displayed them in her home for several years, but finally just got tired of putting them out and did not want to store them any longer.  It was hard for her to part with them to "just anyone or anywhere" though because of all the time and cost she spent making them.

We also discussed how most people really don't want to pay what these pieces are worth.  They usually do not understand the hours spent producing quality craft items like these.  I have found this to be true with quilting too.  It costs quite a bit to make a bed sized quilt, not to mention the many hours spent cutting, sewing and quilting.  Another of my friends said she gifted a quilt to a friend and later found out that the woman had let her dog give birth to her puppies on this hand-made quilt!




I have been thinking about my quilts and wondering if they too will someday end up in a yard sale.  We have all seen antique quilts in yard sales before.  Some of them are a great find!  I just hope that the loved ones I gift a quilt to will use it and enjoy it for as long as they can and if it ever ends up in a yard sale that it will find a good new home and be used and enjoyed more.  (If it gets really worn out then I guess the dog can have it :)
So I bought a few of my friend's tole painted pieces, mostly because they are so dang cute, but also to give them a good new home.  I am going to offer them to my daughters first because they are just getting started collecting holiday decorations, but if they can't use them, I will find a good spot for them and think of my wonderful, talented friend every time I see them!

1 comment: