Friday, December 6, 2013

Holiday Decorations


Last year my we cleaned out my Mom's Christmas decorations and she gave some of them to me and some to my daughters.  I love these cool blocks she made.  Depending on which way you turn them, they can read:  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, and Happy New Year!  They are made from that plastic canvas stuff and yarn, so they are light and soft.  Kids can play with them and not hurt themselves or anything else :)


I made this pillow last year with Laurel Burch Christmas fabric left over from a tree skirt I made for my daughter.  It is bright and cheerful!

My Mom made this Santa a LONG time ago and the tree table topper that he's sitting on.  It is one of my favorite decorations.

I mentioned Una Mae Jones, a vendor at the Houston International Quilt Festival, who makes ornaments and Santa's out of antique quilts.  I bought this Santa from her two years ago.  I picked this one because he's holding a violin, a doll, and a set of golf clubs - all things my family enjoys or has over the years.
unajones08@yahoo.com



Take a look at the back and you can see the antique crazy quilt his coat is made from.  Normally I would not be a fan of cutting up old quilts, but if the quilt has many holes and is otherwise not restorable then this is a nice way to preserve a piece of it.


This tree was given to me by a friend many years ago.  It is only about 10 inches tall and it's filled with miniature sewing supplies!  I got these before I even started quilting!  Another of my favorite decorations, I usually put it in my sewing room, but this year I put it where more people can see it :)


Off to wrap some gifts!  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment