Saturday, January 18, 2014

Third Done in 2014!

I finished the Mountain Blossoms quilt!  I have now finished three projects so far in 2014!  This one was almost done too, but it still counts!

I started this wall hanging in a class taught by Laura Pedge on hand piecing.  We used a method of stamping the pattern on the back of the pieces so you had an exact line to follow with your hand piecing.  I enjoyed making this quilt, but I think hand piecing is probably "not my thing".  I love hand appliqué and would like to try more hand quilting, but I think I will stick with machine piecing :)


The very center of the block is hand pieced.  The little curly cues are hand embroidered and the color dots are wool, appliquéd down with Valdani thread.

In quilting the blocks I tried to follow the curly cue design of the embroidery in the background and a little bit in the hand pieced portion of the block as well.  I was happy with the result.

The backing of the wall hanging is the same dark blue print as the outer border  I used the dark blue thread in the bobbin and a little bit of it popped up (even though I lowered the upper tension on my machine quite a bit) on the light background of the blocks.  It doesn't show too badly - not enough to rip it out anyway, but next time I will follow my friend's suggestion and use the lighter color in the bobbin too, so I don't have that problem.

You cannot see the border design on this busy print fabric - which is OK!  But it gave me a chance to practice a free motion flower design which was fun.  You can barely make out a flower in this border picture.  The Magnifico thread has a bit of a sheen to it which I like.

The whole wall hanging was free motion quilted.  I didn't mark anything.  I'm not very good at marking, or following markings.  With all of this practice I'm starting to get better at free motion quilting.  I'm enjoying it more too so that's a bonus.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!

1 comment: