Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Twelve Months of Christmas

I have a problem.  When I make, or even buy, someone a gift I can't wait to give it to them!  My plan with these monthly minis was to make two each month - one for each daughter - and then box them ALL (twelve) up and give them to them for Christmas.  But look how cute they are?  And if I give these to them NOW, they can hang them up for Valentine's Day THIS year and they won't be sitting collecting dust at my house for a year.  THIS is why I don't do my Christmas shopping early - I would not have any gifts left to give at Christmas time. (I have already given my son an early birthday gift and his birthday is not until July...)
I asked my husband what he thought I should do and he said I should go ahead and give the little quilts to them each month, as I get them done.  He said, "then it will be like 12 months of Christmas instead of 12 days!"  And they will have something to look forward to each month!  Brilliant.  I'm glad he agreed because I do not think I could stand hanging onto them for almost a whole year.
Each one will be the same with a slight difference.  In these two, the boxes of chocolates have different fabrics on top.  They measure 6 inches by 21 1/2 inches and every month has its own cute hanger!  They won't take up a lot of space to hang and it will be a cute decoration they can change out monthly.  I used the back-basting method, so mine are hand appliquéd and hand embroidered, with a little bit of machine quilting.  And this makes numbers seven and eight projects completed in 2014.  I have next months pieced and ready to appliqué.  They are really fun and so popular that Hi Fashion filled up three classes with people wanting to make them. One lady this month had done hers all in pinks.  It will be fun throughout the year to see how different they turn out.  Well, there are a couple of days in January to complete some more UFOs!  Not me, you!  I'm already looking ahead to what I will be working on in February :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't decide to wait a year! Mine is hung up by my front door for all to see!

    ReplyDelete