Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Brazilian Embroidery

A few years ago I took a class on Brazilian Embroidery and really fell in love with it.  I love the way it looks and I love stitching it.  There is just something satisfying about watching your stitches turn into these three dimensional little beauties.  I like to stitch in the evenings while watching TV and sometimes I can stitch some Brazilian Embroidery, but sometimes I really have to focus on the instructions and the stitching, so it's hard to have the TV on while doing it.  I just completed this one on the right recently.

These other three I completed awhile ago.  I haven't stitched any BE for quite some time, so it was fun to pull it out and work on it again, although a bit scary because I wasn't sure if I would remember how to do it!  The instructions for these are very clear though and it's coming back to me.

I have twelve of these small flower patterns - the design is about 3 1/2 by 4 1/2.  I have completed four of them.  My plan, when all 12 are finished is to make them into a small quilted wall hanging.  So I am working on another UFO!
 In case you were wondering, I looked up Brazilian Embroidery on Wikipedia and found out that it is a "type of surface embroidery that uses rayon thread instead of cotton or wool. It is called "Brazilian" embroidery because the use of high-sheen rayon thread in embroidery was first popularized in Brazil where rayon is widely manufactured.  Brazilian embroidery patterns usually include flowers formed using both knotted and cast-on stitches.
Although many of these stitches are used in other forms of embroidery, the technique used to create them are slightly different.
The difference is caused by the method used to manufacture the rayon thread.  For example, cotton thread uses and S twist when the fiber plies are combined into a strand.  Rayon thread uses a Z twist.  One type of twist turns the fiber plies clockwise, the other turns them counter-clockwise.  When forming the knots on Brazilian Embroidery the embroiderer must wrap the thread onto the needle in the opposite direction
from that used in other types of embroidery.  Otherwise, the fibers of the thread will unravel and make the resulting stitches and knots unattractive. "  (Now I know when my knots are unattractive what I'm doing wrong!  I am sure I learned that in my class, but it's been a long time ...)

Anyway, probably more information than you wanted or needed, but I am having fun working on this UFO!

2 comments:

  1. the flowers and your work is very beautiful! do you think that brazilian embroidery will use well in bed quilts because i want to make one with a little embroidery. being dimensional and sticking up it might not be user friendly especially for washes. please if you could help me before i end up making it! also i would love to know how you made the pink flowers in the third photo.
    thanks and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would worry about putting Brazilian embroidery on a bed quilt that is going to be washed frequently. It washes up pretty well and the threads seem to be very colorfast, but I would worry about people sitting on it and snagging and pulling the threads. I would stick with wall hangings and/or decorative pillows or pictures. After all that beautiful handwork you don't want it to get ruined!
      The pink flowers in the third photo are a Knotted Lazy Daisy. I used a pattern from www.blackberrylane.com.au - It is called Knotted Lazy Daisy Petite Series #1 Designed by Delma Moore. You might be able to google Knotted Lazy Daisy and find a free pattern or instructions as well. Good luck!

      Delete