Friday, March 28, 2014

Odds and Ends


I recently purchased this book "Quilts in Everyday Life: 1855-1955" by Janet E. Finley.  Janet started collecting old photographs with quilts in them.  She bought many on Ebay and acquired some from other sources, then researched them and compiled them into this book.  I haven't read it all yet, but I find the pictures fascinating.  A lot of the photos have a quilt tacked up on the side of the house to use as a backdrop for a family photo.  It is interesting to see the quilts of that time, the clothing, the people - it's just an interesting book and I am excited to read more of it.  I have a small suitcase full of old photos.  It makes me want to get that out and look through them to see if there are any quilts in my old photos!  I'll have to let you know :)


Here is another Brazilian Embroidery piece that I made awhile ago and had framed. Not a great picture since the light is reflecting off the glass, but I really like this piece.
My daughter sent me the recipe for this soup and I made it last night.  I was skeptical - even as I was making it - as to whether I would like it or not, but it is DELICIOUS, just like my daughter said it would be :)  Here is the recipe:
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large yam (orange), peeled and diced (2 cups)
8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup kale leaves, coarsely chopped
2 T. minced fresh ginger (I just used 1/2 tsp. of the ginger spice)
salt and pepper to taste
Combine the stock, onion, garlic and yam in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer, add the chicken and simmer covered for 20 minutes.  Add the kale leaves and ginger and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Stir in the peanut butter, salt and pepper.  Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment