Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My eBay Purchase


My thread stash was getting a little out of control.  I had a lot of King Tut threat, and Magnifico thread (both by Superior) stored in a plastic container in a drawer.  Every time I needed to use them I would have to empty out the whole container to get a good look at the colors I had.
I saw this thread cabinet featured in a quilt magazine recently, made by Madeira.  It looked like a handy solution to my thread storage problem!
I looked for it online and found several cabinets for sale, already full of Madeira thread, for several hundred dollars.  I eventually ended up on eBay where I found an EMPTY thread cabinet, which is what I was looking for, for $50.  I rarely ever purchase anything on eBay (except for Paul McCartney - story for another day :), so I placed the minimum bid of $50, noticed that I was the only bidder, then sat back to wait (about three days). I had almost forgotten about it when I was notified by email that I had won!  I paid for my purchase and while waiting for it to arrive I started wondering if it would fit in the cabinet I planned to put it in!
Oops.  I should have measured first, before I bid!  I looked up the measurements and measured my cabinet and it appeared it wouldn't fit quite right so I started to think of a plan B for where to put it.
It arrived last week and I was excited to fill it up!  The top drawer above holds my King Tut thread, the middle drawer to the right, holds the Magnifico, and the great news is - there is room for more!
 In the bottom drawer I have some silk thread and another set of really light weight thread which is great for machine appliqué or quilting miniatures.


And the best news, it fit where I wanted to put it just perfectly!  Now it will be easy to find just the colors I need without having to empty out the whole container!  Could eBay be as great as The Container Store?  Probably not.  I don't think I will shop there enough to find out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment