Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!!

Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms out there!  I have had a lovely day so far.  My children were all very thoughtful, as was my hubby (breakfast in bed AND a new quilt book!)
I want to thank my wonderful Mother for all she has done for me over the years, including teaching me how to sew and create at a young age!  She has many skills that I will never have.  I mentioned before that she can so SO many beautiful and artistic things.
I try to pass on what I can to my daughters, as they're interested, and here are some lovely tea towels that Megan made recently.  She is also working on a baby quilt for a friend so I hope she sends me a picture of that when she's done :)
Following are some more award winning quilts from the Denver quilt show.  There were SO many beautiful quilts there!  I have more to share, but if you have the opportunity to go next year then take it!  It was fun.
High Country Colors by Kathy McNeill, of Marysville, WA, won Second Place in the Innovative category.  This original design is hand appliquéd and machine quilted, and she hand dyed her own fabric.  It's all fabric too - no paint!  Very beautiful.

First Place - Innovative was won by Joanne Baeth of Bonanza, OR for The Landing.  This piece is machine appliquéd and quilted and heavily thread painted.  Very artistic!


Roman Tiles by Ann Petersen of Surprise, AZ won First Place - Traditional.  It is machine pieced and quilted.  The quilting is amazing.


Peach Within Reach by Marilyn Smith of Bakersfield, CA.  It is an original design that is machine appliquéd and it was professionally long arm machine quilted by Gina Perkes.  I really love the whimsy of this quilt and the excitement in the children's faces.


Trilliums is hand appliquéd, hand and machine pieced and machine quilted by Paula Entin of Fairview, NC.
"Each of these flowers was hand-crafted, beaded and embroidered, and assembled before attaching it to the quilt."


Fireworks in Grandma's Garden by Robin Fouquette, of Cottage Grove, OR, won Honorable Mention.
It is hand pieced, machine quilted, then embellished with color (pastel chalk).  She was inspired by Mickey Depre's book Pieced Hexies. The entire background is made of hand pieced hexagons!




Nettie Smith of Loveland, CO made this quilt: Let Freedom Ring. This quilt is an original design, machine pieced and professionally long arm machine quilted by Linda Hibbert.  I really like it!


Quanah Parker #24 by Patricia Heacox of Green Valley, AZ won Best Machine Workmanship - Innovative.

"Inking, free-motion edged calligraphy, appliqué, thread painting, embellishments (some hand-made).  Quilting symbolism:  Buffalo, horses, tipis, feathers, geometric."

This quilt really does have some amazing machine workmanship! I learn so much at these quilt shows.  So much inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment