Sunday, May 4, 2014

Shirley Gisi

Sherida's Art of Quilting column in the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel today was a fantastic piece about Shirley Gisi of CO Springs.  I was a huge fan of her "Quilt Noir" which won a top award in Houston last year, so I was very excited to see two more of her quilts hanging at the Denver National Quilt Show this week.
This quilt, Yellow Sky, won "Best Interpretation of Theme - Innovative" in Denver. I think it is absolutely gorgeous.  What a beautiful use of colors.

This quilt, Star Struck, was featured in Sherida's column.  It also hung in the Denver show.  Shirley's artist statement read:
"Height of excellence assumes limitation.  Having watched the quilting community evolve over the last several years, I have seen great strides made in design and execution.  Manufacturers have helped by providing new products and improving existing tools and products.  We are not just trying, we are succeeding!"
This quilt is machine appliquéd, machine pieced and machine quilted.

I find myself really drawn to these art abstract quilts.  I may just have to make one to "scratch my itch"!  My son-in-law has given me a design to start with - now I just need some time to play around with it!
Have a nice Sunday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment