Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Chess Table

You may remember a post several months ago about my friend Annie's thimble holder that her son-in-law, Jeff, made out of wooden spools, and his amazing wood work.  Well, about that same time, I saw another friend's chess table, that her husband had made, and my son starting getting back into chess and was trying to teach me how to play.  I thought it would be fun to somehow get a chess table, for my husband, but also something the whole family could enjoy.  I decided to ask Annie if she thought Jeff would be interested in making one!  She thought he might and gave me his contact information so I could ask him.  He agreed to do it and we corresponded via email as I gave him some very minimal ideas of what I was thinking of (really I was no help at all).
Just this week he delivered this BEAUTIFUL chess table, that he hand created, that far exceeds any expectations that I had.  His work is SO amazing.  This is a true work of art and will be treasured as a family heirloom for generations to come.  We had Jeff sign and date it.


Look at the little chess piece detail on the table legs!

One of the best parts is that I kept this a surprise to Mike for MONTHS!  Like Annie said, that's not my strong suit! :)  I was so excited about it that I was bursting to tell him several times, but didn't even hint at it until a week ago when I told him a "big surprise" was coming.  He begged me to tell him but I told him I had kept it a secret for eight or so months and I wasn't going to ruin it now!  He loves it!  We can hardly wait to get a game going!  We just can't get over looking at it right now :)



The main part of the table is cherry wood and the game board is made of two different kinds of maple - the lighter one being a very unique and beautiful type of maple.  I am so thrilled with the way this turned out and want to say a huge thank you to Jeff for creating this for us!  His work is simply amazing.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Now I better go practice some chess.  I have not won a game since I started playing almost at year ago and I am very competitive at games.  I bought a book - Chess for Dummies.  Maybe that will help :)

No comments:

Post a Comment