Thursday, January 29, 2015

Quilt Block Inheritance

A couple of years ago we were shown a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt top that had been hand pieced by my husband's grandmother (his Dad's mother Onedia May Anderson Holt)  She passed away in 1935, so this quilt top was pieced sometime before that, but never finished into a quilt. The person in possession of this quilt top decided to take it apart and distribute blocks to all of Onedia's grandchildren, so they could each have a part of this quilt.

I must admit, at first I was appalled by the idea!  To take apart someone's work - all that hand piecing?  Ah!!  We all know how much time that takes!

However as time as gone by, I've come to appreciate her generosity in wanting everyone to have a part of "Grandma's Quilt".  Onedia did not live a long life.  She died when my father-in-law was only 8 years old and she was only 36.  I feel honored to have in our possession three blocks from a quilt she worked so hard to put together.  I would like to think of something totally amazing to do with these blocks!  I am open to suggestions!  Please comment or email me if you have ideas :)




The picture below shows Onedia, on the right, with her mother, Martha, on the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment