Friday, January 2, 2015

Speaking of Quilts from Pennsylvania

My brother came across this old picture of a quilt made up of Pennsylvania Hex signs.  He used to live in Pennsylvania and he said the non-Amish/Mennonite German settlers decorated their properties with Hex signs. He said they are called Hex signs because they are really sechs signs, which is the German word for six.  There are hundreds of them apparently and they have different meanings. He said some people would call this an Amish quilt, but that the Amish would never use these bright colors.



The Hex sign below is distelfinks, which are stylized goldfinches frequently seen in the Pennsylvania Dutch folk art. They are the sign for good luck and happiness!  A great wish for the New Year!


Here is another great thought for the New Year!  Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. If you ever find a pattern for this quilt. I live in PA and would love to make it. My email is Jonesjimandtami@aol.com if there is a cost please let me know. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to find a quilt like that! I'm a Pennsylvania German. This is my heritage. 🥰

    ReplyDelete