Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Quilt For Sale!


Last week I was working on quilting a quilt for the CO West Quilt Guild sale booth at the quilt show coming up in March.  Gini pieced the quilt and donated it to the guild.  I volunteered to quilt it.
It turned out to be a very fun quilt to quilt and I am happy with the way it turned out.

I did a leaf motif in the border and did the swirl hook throughout the center of the quilt.  I'm loving that swirl hook motif that I learned from Angela Walters YouTube video.  I watched it again to freshen my memory before beginning to quilt this quilt.

Whenever I change threads or get interrupted, I take off my quilting gloves (I like Machingers).  At one point, I couldn't find them anywhere.  I searched and searched and couldn't find them.  I decided to pull out my tub of Trianon.  It's a tip I learned years ago in a class from quilter Nancy VanAken.  It's a dry skin cream, so it's good for your hands and doesn't harm your quilt, but it has a slight tackiness to it that helps you grip your quilt better.  Voila!  I was ready to quilt again.  I was however sure that I was going to end up stitching my gloves to the back of the quilt....

But, alas,  I found them on the floor after I was all done quilting, along with several other items I knocked off with the quilt, like my ironing cup, phone etc.

I have a folder of free motion quilting ideas that I cut out of magazines, plus numerous books.  I like to search through these before I begin quilting to give me ideas.  I found the idea for the leaf border in my folder.

Gini had the binding all prepared and ready to sew on.  Very cleverly she had wound it on an empty thread spool to and tied a ribbon around it to keep it nice and neat.
I thought this was a great idea to pass along.  I love getting the binding sewn together and pressed before I start quilting.  This will keep it all nice and ready to go.
 I was sorting through a box of sewing stuff my Mom had given one of my daughters and found this little gem.  At first I wasn't sure what it was, but as I was messing with it, out pops the softest silkiest brush I've ever seen.  And when using it to clean lint out of my machine - wow - the lint just clings to it, making de-linting my machine so much easier.  I am learning that my Bernina likes oil!  I've realized if I give her a new needle and a few drops of oil (after I've de-linted) before beginning a new project, she is much happier, and so am I :)

No comments:

Post a Comment