Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Channel Applique'

I took a class at the Denver National Quilt Show from Dierdre McElroy called "Channel Appliqué".  I have taken hand appliqué classes from the best of the best: Linda Jenkins, Ted Storm and I learned the back-basting technique from an article written by Jeanna Kimball.  I must admit, I didn't think there was much more to learn about hand appliqué, but Michelle and I decided to take Deirdre's class and boy am I glad! (Michelle had taken a hand quilting class from her before.)
 These first two pictures are pieces Dierdre has done or is working on, using her channel appliqué technique.  It is kind of a form of reverse appliqué, making these "channels" to create words or line drawings.  She showed us how to do this technique and gave us many, many tips on the types of fabric to use for appliqué, types of thread to use or not use, needles etc.
 The best tips I got from the class however greatly improved my appliqué stitch.  Just a couple of small tips from her, making me tweak a couple of small things I was doing made a tremendous difference in my stitch!  I am so happy I took this class.

We received a class kit with fabric, needles and pattern.  There were several words to choose from and I chose Family.  This is her family piece.  Mine is started and shown in the picture below.

 Look at my stitches!!  I don't have a picture to show you what they looked like before so I guess you'll just have to take my word that they're BETTER!!  I still need practice on the channel technique though - as you can tell from the photo below.  I still have some bumps and wobbles.  But I still have a lot to stitch just on this piece, so I will get more practice.

If you want to learn more about Dierdre McElroy check out her website at:
http://dierdramcelroy.webs.com



No comments:

Post a Comment