Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Open Sew

Today I get to go to Laura's open sew. I'm looking forward to an afternoon of stitching with friends!

I wonder if I'll ever get this good at machine quilting.  I think I would need to practice everyday for years!



This one is called Moroccan Dream
by Sonia Reed, quilted by Floye Weeks. It won third place in the Hoffman Challenge in 2010.


Kaleidoscope Calamity
by Margaret Solomon Gunn



All I can say about this quilting is What???
Amazing!!!





Gene-Yes! by Connie Keller.  It was quilted by someone named Sharon and I'm sorry I cut off her last name in the picture I took.... She lives in Lewisville, TX though and her quilting is incredible!



I apparently didn't get the name of this one at all!  It was made and quilted by the same person though, and it won a Teacher's Choice award.  I can tell that from this picture :)



I really like the orange, gray and white in this quilt which was made by Ruth Montalvo and is called Ghosts.  She said this quilt is based on a doodle and is completely pieced. She said people tend to see different things when they look at it, like golf tees, birds, or people waving their arms.
It won First Place in the Modern category.





I have seen the center of this quilt, the Christmas tree pattern, at Hi Fashion.  I like the way she made it into almost a Baltimore Album Christmas quilt.  And of course, the quilting is incredible.

The Magic of Twelvetide by Sally L. Murray and quilted by Jen Alexander.




Artist's statement: "Made as a tribute to the magical merry making of our largest family gathering."


Bouquet Royale
by Margaret Solomon Gunn

BEST OF SHOW winner at HMQS

Artist's Statement:
"Hand pieced, fussy cut hexagons set in silk make up the formal garden.  Ribbons of hand dyed silk are appliquéd.  Original design inspired by Lucy Boston (POTC!!!!) Quilting motifs are hand-guided."


This inspires me to get creative with my POTC blocks!




Shannah's Cameo by Karen Sievert

Won Best Solitaire ribbon.


Floral De'lite by Carol Day, quilted by Gaye Ryon won Best Combination ribbon.


No comments:

Post a Comment