Tuesday, September 13, 2016

UFO's

Quilters have an interesting vocabulary all their own such as: UFOs (unfinished objects), WIPs (works in progress), PIGS (projects in grocery sacks) etc.  My Mom asked me to go through her sewing room recently and clear out some of the stuff she is unable to do anymore.  She gave my lucky daughter her sewing machine and sold her sewing cabinet (that my Dad built 40 years ago!) It's sad that she cannot create as much as she once could, because she, as I've mentioned before, could do everything!  She sewed, quilted, knit, crocheted, painted, decorated cakes - you name it. But arthritis and other ailments have caught up to her.
It makes me want to get in and work on my projects while I still can!  However, in cleaning up her sewing room I stumbled across HER UFOs!  Uh oh... Temptation to add to my pile...
One of her UFOs was this Amish Quilt kit that she had purchased from Keepsake Quilting who knows how long ago.  She had mentioned this kit several times so I know she really likes it, just hadn't gotten around to making it.  I decided to make it up for her for Christmas so she can enjoy it on her bed.  I've finished the 12 blocks and next will make "block frames", then sashing, sew the blocks together and add a piano key border.  The sashing and some of the block frame fabric is black so I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together.
One of her UFOs is over 55 years old!  It's a baby quilt she started for my brother and never finished!  I think she's had bragging rights at the quilt guilds for a number of years for having the oldest UFO in her closet.  Hmmm.... I may have to do something with that too!

1 comment: