Thursday, September 29, 2016

Zentangle Class

Last Friday I took a Zentangle class at Quilt Fest from a Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT) Tonya J. Adams-Mendez!  I had not had that opportunity before so I was excited. She said to get certified you have to fly to Boston for several days and learn all of the Tangles from founders Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas.  I cannot remember exactly how many there are, but there are a lot.
This was a very fun and relaxing class and I learned a lot.
Here are some websites you might be interested in to learn more about Zentangle:

Tonya's website is:
http://tangleartstudios.com
She lives in Utah, but is willing to travel and teach!

Visit:
https://www.zentangle.com
for more information, free newsletters, blog, stories, new tangles and inspiration!

And go to:
http://tanglepatterns.com
For tons of tangle patterns

You will also find a lot of Zentangle ideas on:
https://www.pinterest.com


We made a couple of little tiles and a bookmark in class.  We learned the SEZ tangle.  Here is Tonya's and below is mine.  She taught us how to shade, which I haven't really learned properly before.

Our kit came in the cute little bag above and included Fabriano Paper tiles, micron pens, and a tortillon ( a tortillion (or tortillon) is “an artist’s tool used to smudge and blend drawings made from charcoal, graphite pencil, or pastel. The tool consists of a tightly-wound stick of soft, fibrous paper …Wikipedia)

I had never used a tortillon before!  My shading does not look as good as Tonya's but with a little practice....






We also learned HOLLIBAUGH and then started a piece just for fun.  I'm really glad I had this opportunity to take Tonya's class.  I see more Zentangle Inspired Art (ZIA) in my future!
Yesterday I wrote about entering quilt shows.  This morning I was walking with a friend and she blurted out, "I will never enter a quilt show!" I guess I wasn't very convincing!  She is worried about the judging and a lot of people are.  Here are my thoughts.
1. Enter a non judged show.  There are a lot of shows that are not judged, and perhaps just let viewers vote on their favorite.
2. If you enter a judged show, take the judges' comments and use them to improve your techniques in some way or another, but don't let them kill your creativity. A few years ago I posted a picture of one of George Siciliano's quilts and made the comment that had I been the judge, his quilt would have won.  He made a comment on that post and said:
Hi Karen, This is the first time I saw your blog about "Some Assembly Required". Two things you must keep in mind, first the judging is VERY subjective. When I was a kid I marched in a Drum and Bugle Corps in New York. We did a marching and maneuvering routine and competed all over the North East. In one show we came in 4th place, the only time we ever failed to finish first or second. At the end of the show they give each unit the judging sheets from all competing units. There were 2 horn judges, one scored us as the best horn line in the show and the other scored us last. 
The second thing to keep in mind at quilt shows is the quality of the of the quilts. This was a tuff show. While I do not have to agree with the judging I just smile congratulate the winners and go on to the next show.
Unfortunately due to an injury I could not attend. I understand it was great. Virginia (my wife) and I will be in Paducah at the National Quilt Museum demonstrating just how I make these tiny blocks. My wife will be demoing her quilting skills. We both have quilts hanging in the museum. If you or any of your friends come to the show be sure to come to the museum and say hello.
Thanks for your support. Usually I find out what cars belong to judges and flatten all four tires. (Just kidding)

You can read the whole blog post and see George's quilt here:
http://sf2q.blogspot.com/2013/11/miniatures.html#comment-form

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment