Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Presto Chango

And just like that, my sewing room is transformed into a guest room! Not the cosiest of guest rooms, but the Murphy bed is quite comfy and it has my nice Market Fresh quilt on it :)  I've tried to move my cutting table before to make more room and both times I've broken it.  I think my hubby is tired of fixing it for me.  This time I left it in place but I did clean it off so a suitcase or duffle bag can be set there.  We are very happy and excited to have family coming for the next few days!

Since I will be doing more cooking than sewing the next few days I thought I would share some of our family's favorite recipes.  This one is called "Curious Cake" but we have long since called them Caramel Brownies. I received a recipe chain letter about 30 years ago, right after we got married (long before email :)  Normally I don't participate in chain letters, but I decided to do this one.  You were supposed to receive 36 recipes in the mail.  I received ONE.  But it was for these amazing brownies which we love and have been a real treat for our family for all these years.  I do not know the lady who sent me the recipe but her name is on the hand written recipe card: Evalyn Smith. Here is the recipe!
Curious Cake
1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
3/4 cup melted margarine
2/3 cup (one small can) evaporated milk
1 cup chopped nuts
1 package semi sweet chocolate chips
14 oz. package of caramels
Combine the cake mix, margarine and 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk.  Mix well.  Press 1/2 of the mixture into a 9x13 pan (save the other half for the top). Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Melt the caramels with the other 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a double boiler, stirring until smooth. After the first layer has baked for 5 minutes, top with chocolate chips, nuts and pour over the melted caramel. Carefully top it all with the other 1/2 of the cake mixture (spread gently).  Bake for 20 minutes more. Cool completely and cut into squares.  Completely unhealthy but very delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment