Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Temari


Yesterday at the Embroidery Guild I took a class on Japanese Temari.  I've been wanting to try this for a long time and was so glad to finally have the opportunity! I bought a book about it awhile back but there is nothing like a class being offered to get you motivated.
Temari balls are a form of Japanese folk art.  The balls were traditionally made by mothers and gifted to their children on New Years Day. The brilliant colors and threads are symbolic of wishing the recipient a brilliant and happy life.  Also the mothers would place a small piece of paper with a good will wish for her child inside the wrapped layers of the ball.


The balls pictured here were all made by our teacher Barbara.  They're so beautiful!












The design below is the one we worked on in class yesterday.  I'll be sure to post a picture when I finish mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment